2017 Golf Classic - Our Best Year Yet!
It was a sunny morning at the Ladies Golf Club of Toronto on Monday, May 29 for New Circles’ fifth annual Golf Classic. The day started off with a light drizzle, but the clouds were gone by the time the golfers were ready to hit the course. Following the tournament, golfers enjoyed a luncheon and silent auction in the clubhouse, and the energy was high as everyone vied for their favourite items using a new mobile bidding app.
Thanks to this support, the event raised a record $70,000 – bringing the total raised through the tournament since it began in 2012 to $250,000 – which will directly benefit our GLOW clothing service, social programs, and employment skills training. According to Executive Director Alykhan Suleman, this support is critical at a time when the need across the city for affordable, adequate clothing is greater than ever, especially for newcomers and refugees.
“I’d like to thank all our supporters for their ongoing commitment to helping us reach new heights,” he said. “Through your commitment of time, skills and resources, New Circles is now serving more clients than ever, and confidently looking forward to expanding our services even more.”
A special thanks goes to the organizing committee (chair Jeannie von Buttlar, Andrea Wolff, Cindy Blakely, Julie Cheesbrough, Marj Olsson, Melanie Lauber, Sandra Curtis, Sue McKenzie, and Wendy Daniels), as well as all the sponsors, donors and other volunteers who made this event possible. Click here to see a complete list of sponsors.
Congratulations also to the tournament winners:
- 1st Place Men’s Team – Graeme MacGregor, Bob Blakely, Robert Macfarlane and Steve von Buttlar
- 2nd Place Men’s Team – John McMeans, Jeff Davis, Michael Williams and Dwight Donald
- 1st Place Women’s Team – Rita Shefsky, Mary Frances Sheehan, Jennifer Camelford and Suzanne McKerroll
- Closest to the Line – Rita Shefsky
- Closest to the Hole – Yvonne Boland
- Longest Drive (Women) – Andrea Wolff
- Longest Drive (Men) – Jim Lye